1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by texas, Feb 11, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

how do yall get gas? do yall tank up yur equipment every morning or do yall have yalls own tank? i could probably get a 300 gallon tank from my dad for a few hundred. payup
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I gas at the pumps. I fill the mowers on the trailer and a 5 gal can as well as the truck.

GEO :)
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I fill up each day and keep a 5 gallon can as a back up. Im a solo operator and If I were to buy gas in bulk, it may get old and stale before I used it all. Also you have the problem of someone stealing it. And some local restriction may require a containment system and a lot of red tape and extra paper work.Thats why I just buy what I need as I need it.

4. We have three five hundred gallon tanks , one for gas, one for diesel and one for off road diesel works great for me.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

500 gallon above ground tank for gas, plan on getting another one for diesel in the spring.
  6. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

We purchase all of our gas at the same station daily. We put it on one of their credit cards that gets paid off at month-end, but the dealer always gives us a volume discount of about $20.00, or so. Do you save this much money by spending money on a tank and bulk deliveries, or do you save more?

In addition, I know time is a factor, but I like being able to go to the gas station to buy ice and a cold pop for each morning. I would miss this if we started storing our fuel at location. I'm sure I lose a few minutes each day, but it builds relationships with the employees.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I fill up once a week in everything and carry 3 five gallon cans. I hate wasting time in the gas station.
  8. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I fill up on sunday nights, fill the truck all the mowers and then carry 5 gallons on diesel and five gallons of gas for during the week.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Being solo, I fill up at the end of every week for the next week. I go to the gas station and fill up the mowers and one 5 gallon gas can.
  10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I fill up when I need gas