Gasket Repair= what skill level?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KINGjosh, Apr 26, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

IS a gasket repair simple to do? I would figure the only hard part would be breaking it down. Its a B/S 13.5hp. Gas is coming into the oil.

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Josh; first things first. Has the problem been diagnosed properly? Usually gas into the oil means carb. repair. Carb repair uses dry gaskets from a repair kit. I don't know the whole story on the problem, so please send more info. What exactly is the problem, and then maybe we can look for a cure. We even have some professional small engine technicians lurking around here.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your right Jim ! There are a few of us Technicians bouncing around here.
    You were also right about the carb. being the culprit,Thats the only source
    that will put fuel in the crankcase.

14yr. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

4. jim dailey

Well, thanks for the compliment. I noticed you are Kohler and Kawasaki trained. I will have to keep that in mind, should I have any problems. OH NO, I just noticed the Old Town, Fl. I have a vacation and winter home in South Daytona. I have been trying to get to Old Town for some racing action. I should make a point of it next winter. I usually end up at New Smuyrna for the 9 nights of racing. Ever go there? JIM.

5. KINGjosh

Well this morning I go to fire it up and she wont even crank. As I kept pulling on the starter rope, a little bit of oil drips out of the muffler. So heres the crazy part, I check the oil level , and the dam oil level looks about 1qt over full. So I smelled the oil from the dipstick and sure enough it smelled like gas. What gives.

I haven't had it properly diagnosed by a mechanic. I kinda guest it was a gasket problem. Hoping someone on here can kinda see what it is.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I 've never taken my equipment to my dealer for repair, I have always figured out how to do stuff on my own.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No Jim I never been to New Smuyrna, In fact I don't Know of any Racing that goes on around here,Maybe theres another Old Town Here in FL. Or maybe you know something I don't. I moved up here 14yrs. ago from Tampa.
    I'm about 35 miles west of Gainesville,What kind of Racing is it ?

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry, but that statement is false.

8. Starman

Starman LawnSite Member

What's your diagnosis?

9. jim dailey

Old Town is right outside of Delend, which is sw of Daytona.

10. KINGjosh

Does anybody have any suggestions? :waving: