Gasket vs Solvent Weld PVC - When do you change?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Sep 3, 2013.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

On most of our jobs, anything over 2" is usually a gasket PVC pipe with thrust blocks over solvent weld PVC just to allow for a little flexibility in the system, especially with high pressure pump stations.

After meeting with a client today, they are insistent that we use solvent welded pipe for a 3" semi-looped mainline (POC are preexisting, and they just want a 3/4 circle to complete the loop) they are wanting added.

What are everyone's thoughts on gasket versus solvent weld for larger piping?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

3" I would prefer gasket. Did they give you a reason for glue? Bad experience in the past ( prolly the person they worked with on past job didn't thrust block and created a problem)

3. zman9119

Their reason was, "because that is how the other contractor did it".

And again, they are "requesting" that all the pipe be pulled in versus trenched, with the same reason as above too, which would make for some very interesting turns as this is not a straight path or gentle sweeps and is about 1.5 miles in length...

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Psi/ gpm??????

5. zman9119

Believe around 250gpm @ 90psi (a little high on the charts, but this guy doesn't care. System should of originally been installed with 6" mains, but they went cheap and with another irrigation contractor with 0% golf experience and they installed one hell of a piece of crap system).

But we get to bid against them on this one as we are the primary construction company on this property and they would like us to do the work.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Pulling in 3"? That's a big vibratory plow.

7. zman9119

I will be sure to take plenty of pictures if we do get this job.

The main "loop" section has an elevation change of 40' from end to middle to end, plus another spur in the dead center of the loop has an elevation change of 75' additional feet up a ski hill. Might be common for some places, but we rarely see an elevation change of 115' from POC to valve here in the great State of Illinois (or at least I do not in the Chicago area).

8. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a few solvent weld systems in with 3" mains. The highest psi we have on one is 97psi. Pay attention to the primer and solvent combo, this is very important. We use christys red hot and primer. Make sure you cut the pipe square and give it a 1/4 twist on the way in and hold it till its set. We were lucky that this system was on a variable speed pump, so for the first month we ran the system at 55 psi then turned it up to 97 after the trenches were good and compact.

If you are flowing that much water at that pressure you might install a few blow off valves to prevent a water hammer.

9. zman9119

Already figured for those conditions mainly due to how the loop is set-up and our extreme elevation changes.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking along the lines of the plow used in orchards. D-4 or bigger, depending on soil conditions. I posted some pics a few years back of one a friend of mine built.