1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Gasoline and Hazmat endorsement.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Duffster, Apr 28, 2011.

  1. Duffster

    Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Posts: 1,193

    OK lets get to the bottom of this.

    How much gasoline can be hauled before needing a Hazmat endorsement and CDL.

    I know it is 119 gallons for diesel fuel but is it the same for gasoline? Please post a link to any information you are basing your comments on if you have them.
  2. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 12,353

    I think I figured it out.

    Not easy and extremely confusing.
  3. mmacsek

    mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 543

    I was at a state DOT seminar a few years ago and the info they gave is 10 gallons of gas in portable containers. The gas in equipment didn't count towards the total. 2 cycle didn't count either. Matt
  4. rlitman

    rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,552

    It varies from state to state.
    Federally, DOT requires placarding above 1000 lbs, BUT that weight includes both the contents (in your question, the fuel), AND the container (the fuel tanks).
    119 gallons of diesel fuel weighs about 825 lbs, so that sounds reasonable. Diesel is about 12% more dense than gasoline, so under that assumption, you could carry more gasoline than diesel.
    BUT, I saw a reference online in California, that limits you to 55 gallons. So, you've got to do your own research, in your own state.

Share This Page