gasoline expense

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SKEE, Mar 7, 2002.

1. SKEE

SKEE LawnSite Member
    from ALABAMA

For a solo LCO with about 40 medium size residential accounts using 36" wb's.....how much do you think would be an average amount spent on gas per months for mowers, blowers, etc. not on transportation. I just need an estimate. thanks.

2. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

If this is not your first year in the business just add up all your gas receipts from last year and divide them by the number weeks you mowed for a weekly average use amount. I have about the same number and size(1/2 to 1 acre) of accounts and I use between 5 to 10 gallons per week.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of variables here....but, here goes.

40 medium lawns....say 1 hr each lawn max.

On the high side, lets say it uses 1 gal/hr max.

Thats 40 gallons/week.

Now thats a lot of mowing for one mower, like I said these are all max figures.

40 gals X 4 weeks = 160 gal/month

160 gal X $1.10/gal = $176/month just for that mower.

String Trimmers?
    Edgers?
    Blowers?

Like I said though, I dont know how big your "medium" lawn is. For me its about 3/4 to 1 acre.

And for a main lawnmower running 40hrs/week solo, thats a lot of lawn. I average around 30hrs/week on my Lazer. Trimming takes all my time up!

Good Luck

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can probably expect to burn about 20 gallons of gas a week. Multiply 80 (4 weeks in the average month) by the price of gas that you can buy locally.

5. What's a medium size residential accounts ?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Richard and I have taken different views on this.

I was figuring on 1 acre lots with a 36" 15hp mower. Its got to take almost an hour to mow an acre with a 36" mower. I know 1 gal per hour is high, but I always figure worst case scenario.

So thats where I get my #'s.

7. SKEE

SKEE LawnSite Member
    from ALABAMA

thanks guys, that was very helpful. I was just looking for some ball park figures. I appreciate it

8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas prices are expected to go up during the summer (of course this could be wrong). I don't know what your price is at, but here it is currently $1.19, and they said it will go back up to $1.75, so if you want to figure in the worst case scenario, you better add in a higher price along with that 1 gal./hr:)

9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say about 15-20 gallons a week maximum. Also if you are mowing more than a few 30K-40K sq/ft lawns then you need at least a 48 inch WB.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

TLS wrote:
    I guess Richard and I have taken different views on this.

I was basing my 20 gallons a week on personal experience. In a 40 hour work week a solo operator would not spend all of his time running the mowers. In a single day you would probably have over 1 hour just packing up, moving the truck and then unpacking the truck again. And about 1/3 of my time is spent trimming and blowing. Trimmers and blowers don't use nearly the gas that my 25 Kohler does. I know that he was talking about 36" mowers but the 25 Kohler is attached to a 60" deck and that cuts more grass in less time than a 36 does so it about evens out.