Gasoline in your oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Eddie B, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Pulled out the old Snapper rear engine rider today, it had been stored upright for the past year with gas still in it. It hasn't been ran in almost 2. I pulled the dipstick out and it looks like there's gas in the oil. Is it from the engine sitting on its side for so long or is something wrong? I didn't realize the gas was left in there all this time... I was gonna clean the carb later and see if I can bring her back to life. Its the old 8hp Tecumseh.

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Eddie i would be changing both the oil and gas with fresh stuff before you start it up.......not sure about the gas/oil but you will find out if its a problem when you change and start.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas can get in the oil, especially from a machine bouncing around on a trailer, particularly a walk-behind. We have had walk behind 's we thought sure had a seized engine, you couldn't pull the starter cord, and the problem was oil had saturated with gas. You learn after a while to train the employees, to always turn the mower's fuel switch to off position.

Id do as sandgroper suggested, siphon any old gas out,and change the oil.Another thing to note ,If the engine has set with unstabilized gas in the tank for two years,the carburetor jets are probably varnished.

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Changed the fluids and she started right up! I'm surprised. :weightlifter:

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep do what he said. Fuel leaked through the carb and it probably seaped(sp) through the valve into the crankcase. But yes clean everything good and it will probably start right up.

The engine on this old mower is full of oil,fuel and whatever else got in it.
    [​IMG]
    but I will clean everything and get it running again.
    Then I will take to motor off and keep it as a spare, or build something.

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

This is a classic bad float needle and seat issue. The needle and seat won't allow fuel to seep in slowly. It has noweher to go but down and ends up filling the crankcase.

The remedy is a new needle and seat and make sure the float is adjusted correctly. If it only seeps slightly, I have left it and simply turned the fuel off when the mower is not running (as someone else suggested).