Gasoline pours out air filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tmhutch, Apr 1, 2006.

1. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Anybody ever have this problem? It's a 10 year old Sears Craftsmen 1400 PSI pressure washer. Maybe a Briggs and Stratton motor?

Cant figure it out. Replaced the fuel bowl and gasket becaue loosening the bolt that screws through the center of it and into the carburetor stopped the fuel from flowing so I figured the bowl had been tightened to much at one point. Got the new bowl and it still does it though.

Tried adjusting the float level to put more pressure against the needle and seat but that didnt work either.

Of course the repair shops say by a new carburetor but this pressure washer cant have more than 20 hours use.

Anybody have any idea????

Todd

2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Todd I have one that does the same thing. I have to adjust the gas shut off to almost off and it will run fine then I have to cut the Gas off or it will keep running. They told me the float is stuck. I am getting ready to buy a new Carb.

3. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Thanks. I should probably just do the same thing but I'm going to try a new needle valve first, unless you've already tried that?

4. oldgreygox33

oldgreygox33 LawnSite Member

Replace the float in the carburetor.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Bad float for sure...:usflag:

6. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Same thing everyones saying, floats got a hole in it. Also replace the needle and seat while your there, it's worth it.

7. tmhutch

tmhutch LawnSite Member

Ya, jeez. Thanks guys. I dont know why that didnt occur to me :hammerhead:

Much appreciated.

Todd

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

It's usually the brass Tecumseh ones that go bad. The plastic Briggs ones only really go bad if they sit for a long time in stale fuel and heat and just get brittle.