Gasoline transfer tank in pickup for refueling mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, May 30, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I see tanks for deisel but not gasoline? It would be a great time saver to refuel equip. out of a safe, secure transfer tank?

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i would just use the diesel one i dont see a difference in it

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The difference is that fuel oil is combustable and gas is explosive and there are 2 different kinds of tanks and restrictions.They make a transfer tank for gas, it is called a gas caddy, it is designed for re- fueling boats and equipment. a 30 gallon tank is about 350-400 bux
    here is a link to the gas caddy
    http://www.interstateproducts.com/fluid_transfer.htm?OVRAW=gas caddy&OVKEY=gas caddy&OVMTC=standard

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I am pretty sure it's illegal to carry gasoline in a tank larger than 50 gallons without a DOT permit. Even the 50 gallon tanks I have seen at TSC I think are actually only rated for diesel. (I could be mistaken though)

I have seriously considered mounting a 50 gallon tank on my trailer for refuling equipment and not having to get fuel 2 times a week but after the tank cost of around $300 and a hand crank pump and hose of like $125 I think I like my 3-5 gallon cans better...

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see how it would be that great of a timesaver. A gas pump usually works pretty well. You would have to save a whole lot of time, over a long period to justify 1. the $400 for the price of the tank, 2. The hassle of carrying a tank full of gas directly behind you and your cab, 3. The dangers of the same thing...4. The permits required to do so. I carry 1 5gal. can in the trailer just in case I run low. Other than that, the mowers get filled at the beginning of the day.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I could see it if you had an enclosed trailer.

7. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Work with me guys.... I'm unsure of how legal it is to do so on a trailer but it would use up a heck of a lot less space if you took a gas tank and new tank straps off of a passenger car or truck (depending on space available) and mounted it under your trailer. The tank you could pick up from the salvage yard and be sure that the sender with the pump is in there yet, and you could get brand new straps for 20-40 bucks from the auto store. There would only be two lines running into tank besides the fill neck, a return and the outlet to engine or in this case a locking ball valve or something to fill up the equipment. The pump would require a 12v dc power source which you could pin up to the trailer connector's aux pin slot. or you could even toss a small car or atv battery on somewhere discrete underthere to power the motor off of a switch. You'd also need to locate the tank in a fashion so that it could be filled through the fill neck. you'd have to cap the hose properly so you don't get it leaking out, but my experience in the automotive industry is that most makes and models since at least 1994 is they all have one way check valves for rollover purposes. Anythings possible, I just dont know if it's even legal. I guess I'd check with the local DOT. Just a suggestion for yall.

Upon really thinking hard about this I'd like to emphasize that anyone intersted in cheap tank transfers that they check with DOT, Legal on a car it is, but could potentially be hazardous on a trailer. Good Luck :cool:

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

You need a tank made for gasoling. The vapors from gasoline are highly flammable but you can drop a match in a tank of diesel fuel and nothing will happen.

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you tow with a gasser, esp an older truck, you can tap into the fuel line and run a small 12v fuel pump to pump out gas.

Will be slow as molasses (5 minutes to fill a 5-gallon mower at 1 gallon per minute) but still faster than running out.

KB

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Where I am they make these GREAT transfer tanks for gasoline and you can carry all you want/need and they are very cheap at $4.97 each..........plastic 5 gallon gas cans...:)