1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gassing Up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Onyx, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Onyx

Onyx LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I know this question has been asked before but just wanted to get an idea for the number of you guys who fill up at the pump. I normally use 5 gallon cans then transfer the fuel to my walk behinds. I wanted to know if you guys directly from the pump into your walk behinds? I know that fueling gas cans you should place them on the ground to prevent static. But how about boats who have gas tanks in the hull? You have to pump that into the boat direct so haw would this differ when pumping into the walk behinds?
  2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

i always pump directly into my mowers but also keep a spare 5g can so idont have to visit the gas station as much
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A permanet tank in a boat is supposed to be grounded.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can safely pump directly into your mowers. as a matter of fact, we ALWAYS do whenever we get the chance to top off. It is just too fast and easy to pump from the pump as opposed to the slowness of gas cans.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Directly into mowers. We do have a 5 gal can that we fill every other day that gets sat on ground to fill. Hope this helps!!!
  6. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Like the rest, when I fill up, I fill directly into my mowers, then I fill my 5g gas can, and my 2 gal mix/fuel gas.
  7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Not telling how I fuel but remember to keep mower fuel seperate from truck,you don't pay highyway use tax on it.....I forget, is it 22 cents a gallon now? It's not a lot but it does add up.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I was screamed at by a hindu one day because I was filling my mower on the trailer, he came out yelling he was going to call the Fire marshall so he didn't get fined if they happened to drive by (proactive = no fines for him). I ignored him and finished filling up and went over to the Fire house to ask the marshall myself. I made the same arguement, I said, i have a boat with a tank on board, i obviously can't drag the boat off the trailer and fill it up, why do I have to move the mower off to fill it? He said its because the boat is strapped down. I asked if my mowers are strapped down (required by law anyways) then I should OK right? he said "yep". There is still one full station in town that will not allow filling up the mowers on board truck or trailer. They instead use the 5gal cans to fill up in a chain-like fashion. This seems faaar more likely to start a fire with the open tanks, fumes and the guy sliding the can on the trailer as he climbs up.
  9. ReefBlueCoupe

ReefBlueCoupe LawnSite Member

Does that happen at the pump somehow, or when you do your taxes? Is that Ohio only?
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah weve been pumping into the mowers for years with no problems and we also full up a 5g can on the trailer too and no explosions yet