Gate from trailer to truck??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Aug 14, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Does anyone have one??? I know some of you Walker owners has to have one??? I spoke with a guy here last year who sent me pics on the subject, but can't remember who you are. In the truck forum someone told me that the tailgate on my 92' chevy pickup is rated at only 250lbs., can this be true.

I want to back my Walker into the bed of my truck for unloading leaves and grass. I can fabricate the gate myself. I might be better of taking off the tailgate and allowing the the gate from the trailer to rest on the bumper, surely this will with stand approx. 1200lbs.

All comments and opinions welcomed.
    Thanks
    MATT

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

there are a few guys that have them, and its a great idea, i would have to agree on taking the tailgate off, checkk the thread "setups" or something similar (forget the exact title) and there is someone in there that has one of them.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

For the Walker that is a heck of a plan. I had my Walker across the tail gate of my truck, but then it is a Ford, :D with out any serious problems. I would bet if it was done every day 10 times a day things would soon go wrong. Just build it so that the weight is resting more on the bed than the tail gate.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

you can put u piece of chain link fence in the bed and use the walker to pull it out at the dump

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I take the tailgate off and use the ramp in the spring and fall. I designed it myself and had it welded up. Next time the materials will be lighter. The thing could support a truck.

ramp.jpg

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

All good ideas. I had never thought of the chain link idea, that's a good one. I had been thinking that a canvas tarp would work well (less scratches). I think the safest route would be to let the ramp rest on the bumper. I found the post I was looking for, it was Mow Ed who used the method. I have even done some searches for an old grain truck. I found a few fairly good looking ones for $3,000. I mulch during the summer, but in the spring I have 25 scalping accounts, so I need to come up with a better method than dumping on a tarp and loading into truck (time consuming, messy and heavy work). I am even considering building a box at the head of the trailer to dump grass in after the truck bed is full. I hate leaving a job just to go and empty out the grass when scalping. I have also seen other with large vacums that discharge the clippings/leaves into the bed.

Mow Ed, you posted while I was typing this post. You sent me about 5 pics last year on your set-up. What do you mean that you would use light material??? Thinner angle? Please elaborate.

Thanks
    MATT

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Thinner angle. This thing is built SOLID and it is as heavy if not heavier than my full size rear gate. It isn't 300# but it gives you a workout. I actually didn't spec the materials and my welder picked them. He mostly does heavy duty work so I am not surprised. I am not dissatisfied at all.
    Good Luck.

10. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

walker-talker Have you seen leaf vacuums? They save alot of time and effort compared to tarping them into the truck.