gate is locked but can be opened?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

You arrive at a property and the gate is locked, but you can open it if you pull up on it real hard. Do you open it and cut or leave it locked? Customer is not home.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Yes! They will know if it was cut,tell them to leave it unlocked for their cutting day. I have combo lock #'s for some of mine.

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

what is the norm ? does the customer leave it unlock when you come by,or is the customer always home to unlock it ? if the situation is not the norm i would not open the gate.just cut the front and leave message for customer

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Customer is usually home and opens it, but just happened to be out and left it locked

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

from my policys page

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It's locked but can be opened ...... OPEN it n cut it ... we're in the service industry ... provide a service not a conflict

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I liked that.

If it's a regular customer, lift it up and go ahead. I'd imagine they'd appreciate it. :)

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i also use to put it the old contracts i cut the lock and bill them for a new one. i just got tired of buying new locks :laugh:

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i unbolted a chain link fence gate this year to gain access at a regular customer's house. he called me shortly after i finished and said he forgot to unlock the gate and would be home after 12 if i hadn't gotten to him yet, if so, he said he would pay regular rate for my trouble. when he finished talking, i told him no problem, it was done. he asked me how and i told him what i had done. he got real quiet, then said something to the effect of "you mean all this time a thief could have done the same thing? i told him sure, they're only 9/16" carriage bolts. the next time i was there, there were chains everywhere. the gate was chained to the fence, then the two parts of the gate were chained together. he was all proud of it. i didn't have the heart to tell him about the corner posts :laugh: :laugh:

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Evidently you didn't tell him that most thieves just climb the fence or use bolt cutters.:laugh: