Gate lift assist / Build? Buy... Where?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ElephantNest, Feb 6, 2004.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Did a search, only found one website to purchase gate lift assists, but they sold locally only. Any links to sites where these are relatively cheap?

I saw someone say they bought garage door springs from Home Depot, does this work well compared to the ones you buy? How did you secure it to the trailer and gate? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~Nest

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I used 2 new garage door springs on my trailer, I drilled the frame and the tailgate and used eye bolts to attach them. With the gate closed I have no tension on the springs, you have to pull the gate down to get it down and when i want to lift it up I just take my foot and start it up and up it comes on its on, think i have about 35 bux in the set up

3. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

4. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a 5 foot galvinized pipe and had it threaded at both ends. I added endcaps and drilled through one end and rounded/chamfered the hole to prevent cable fraying. I used a 160 lb garage door spring which is secured by a 5/8" threaded rod that runs through one end of the pipe, as a support and load bearing for the spring. The other side is mounted up with another bolt and a u clamp. The cable runs through a bracket I had made that has two pulleys. From there it runs to a chain mounted to an eyebolt on the gate.

Turned the 90 lb gate into about 15. Much better.

5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new, extra for a $100 if somebody needs it.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

What brand, weight rating....and will it fit any trailer?