gate lift question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flatlander42, May 8, 2011.

1. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I Need a gate lift assist that will allow for the gate to go forward too. Like at least 45 deg. forward. My ramp fits between my side rails and I want to tilt it to the front so it is less drag on the highway.

Any of you have one or know of one that would allow that?

Thanks!

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Do a search on them, I looked at several then went to Home Depot and bought a garage door spring. They have different sizes I figured out the length I needed by looking at the ones online. Basically You drill a hole, mount your eye bolts one on the frame rail, one on the ramp. Cut a piece of pvc about 3 or 4 ft long, slide it over the spring hook up both ends. Give it a try, the pipe is to keep your fingers from getting pinched. It works great and cost about $40. I walk up to my ramp take my foot and just lift it a few inches and up she comes all by itself then latch it and roll.

3. Thunderrug

Thunderrug LawnSite Member

Do you have any pics on that? Kind of challenged in picturing that.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i would also like to see a pic of the spring in the pvc..........

5. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I have figured out something allready. It will allow the ramp to go quite a ways forward. Just a simple garage door spring....I will just keep my fingers out of it. Yes, the bottom eyebolt may bend. If/when it does I'll make something stronger.

I just couldn't spend the extra $ on the "elegator" or whatever it is called.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7

6. MJB

from Wa

It's not that pretty but I love it every time I have to raise or lower the gate.
    That pipe gives you a safe place to grab it while it's going down to maintain stealth, or you can push it and let it drop.

pics 475.jpg

pics 476.jpg

pics 477.jpg

pics 478.jpg

7. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

How long of a spring is that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MJB

from Wa

Looks like about 2 ft I don't remember exactly. I just measured from the rail to the gate, then lowered the gate and measured again the same way. Then I just had to find a garage spring that would fit.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I cant believe the eye bolt on the trailer rail doesn't just bend right in half from the pressure.

10. MJB

from Wa

No problems yet , I put this on last spring. That is a 3/8 " eye bolt . I was surprised the first time I put it on it worked perfect. Don't get to heavy of a spring that one was from Home Depot, took about 45 minutes to hook it up.