Gate lifts?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by eggy, Apr 18, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a simple or know of a simple device to help raise and lower your trailer gate? Day in day out that gets heavy!!! Or maybe I am getting old...hmmm

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

you can make one with a pvc pipe, some pulleys and a garage door spring, or buy one of the 2 on the market. Do a search for this topic to find links.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a page on this on my website, pictures and instructions included. Click on the Gate Lift page on my site.

4. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Surely, being the lawncare professional you are, you receive ALL the free trade magazines? You will find your answer in own of them. check out http://www.ez-gate.com.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I built my own too. It looks like the ez gate, but is more heavy duty, and works ALOT better! I can lift up my gate with one finger. But, I don't. I just simply put my tow under it, give it a slight lift upward, and it comes right up to me. I don't even have to bend over! Everyone that sees it, loves it! Oh, the BEST part about it? I got about 20 bucks into it!

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

seems to me a 12 volt wench, cable and pulley
    mounted above the ramp on one side would work.
    the key would be making every thing secure an anchored
    properly.luck to ya

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Runner,

What was your parts list for only $20?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the parts list.
    4 pieces of steel: 2 aprox. 6 inches long X 1 1/2" wide, 1 piece strip aprox. 3" long X 1 1/2" wide, and one other piece a bit shorter. All about 3/8" thick. 1 block and tackle pulley (for the pulleys) I wanted to make sure I got 1 piece pulleys, not split type. 8ft. of 3/8" cable. I bought the vinyl coated, but this isn't necessary. 2 3/8" eyebolts 1 piece of 6"(I believe) PVC tube approx. 5' long, (had it laying around) and an old 80# garage door spring.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ok, you know we want pictures and detailed instructions now don't you? LOL!

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had all the stuff laying around to do mine, pictures and instructions included on Gate Lift Page. I can lift my gate that weighs over 100 pounds with one finger or my toes.