gate size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmark72, Jul 25, 2005.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

is there a standard gate size that companies install or is it the home owners choose?

2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I say its up to the homeowner that puts the fence up. All depends on how much they want to spend on the gate itself and what they will moving through it.

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

it's usually nothing smaller than 36". That is why it is key to have a 32,34,or 36 to get through those things.

4. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Being a fence installer, I can tell you it's up to the homeowner. However, most guys, such as myself, wehe the homeowner tells me they want a regular gate, I make them at least 48". Comign from a landscaping background, I always ask what size gate their landscaper needs. I'm sure some others have that coutesy too, but I'm sure there are many more who don't care.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowner makes that call. If they say "put a gate", a good fencer will make a call based on average use and what will look good with the surroundings.

If it is an auto-gate, then size would have to be factored in depending on what operator you are planning on using. Then, what advantages/disadvantages with a slider or swinger.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

About the only thing a 36" gate is good for, is if you have a larger gate down the way from it.