Gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by one man gang, Mar 20, 2006.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I just got a call from a new cust.( got her late last year, didn't even cut it)and she wanted to know how wide I needed her to make the gate in her back yard. I remember her telling me she would do that but I didn't think she would. Has that ever happened to anyone else? she's paying the going rate($35) so it's not cause I'm cheap.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've had customers actually do that, too. tell her to put as wide of a gate as she can.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had numerous customers change their gates for me to accomodate at least a 48 inch mower. Its nice that I dont have to pull the 36 off the trailer except maybe 4 times during the week.

4. one man gang

from N. In.

How bout it, I hate pulling off two at a stop. I find that there's still a lot of yards I can't get my 36 in. If thats the case and I can't pull the chain link to the side I turn down the work. Last year I accepeted a couple where I had to use a 20" and I only lasted two cuts. It's too much when your alone.

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If a backyard needs a 36 or smaller and its to big Ill either turn it down or overbid the heck out of it. I just cant waste the time.

6. TripleTsLawnCare

TripleTsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have gave customers two prices, one for the small gate they have now. Then I give them the option to pay me 200.00 and I will put a wider gate in and then give them a lower monthly price. Seems to work pretty good. Most people will pay to have a wider gate put in. Works for me.

7. one man gang

from N. In.

Interesting, what's the difference in price?

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I always quote 2 prices when there's a narrow gate. Gave a lady a bid of $35/wk if she had the gate widened, and $45/wk if it stayed the way it is. Unfortunately they took me up on the higher price and I ended up push mowing that back yard all last summer. Crap! I hate mowing that lawn.

9. one man gang

from N. In.

I hear ya, even though I started in Chicago with the small push mowers for 2 years I just can't bring my self to use them any more. Must be getting old

10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have taken a wooden fence section and cut off the ears that fit into the posts, and then hang the fence onto the posts.