Gated Communities

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassBlaster, Nov 20, 2003.

1. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

There is a gated community in my area that I really want to get in...problem is it's gated. No flyers allowed. Besides a newspaper ad, what would be the best way to generate business in this area?

If I got in, could I get in trouble for putting up flyers? Also, I'm afraid that putting out flyers would turn off some of the residents that maybe moved here for the privacy.

Ideas? Opinions?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Jump the fence and put all your competetors phone # on the flyers and put them everywhere, cars, doors, on the lawn everywhere. LOL

3. LizardLawnCare

LizardLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Find out who is in charge of the association, schedule a meeting requesting that at their next "association meeting" that you do a presentation to all the home owners in that community. We are doing that in the near future ourselves. They will generally ask you to provide them flyers to be placed in the mailboxes alerting them to the meeting.

Hope this helps....

I still like the other guys idea:laugh:

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Check for mailing lists by zip code and area of the city you live in. You can generally buy a list for 20-30 bucks.Also, get your hands on a city directory that florists use. It lists by street address, not by name. It will give you house # and the current resident as of that year. This way you can target a specific area of interest of potential customers who fit your pre-qualifications for contract.

5. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

How many homes are there

6. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

HUNDREDS of homes.......2500 acres of development, plus 36 holes of golf, and 315 acre lake.

7. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

I sent you a pm

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of homes. But, you could go to the gate, and say your there for Jabonawitz to do an estimate. They will probably let you in, and can take down house #'s. It goes quicker than you think. Then you can do your own mailer, and it does work.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Some gated communities call the home to see if the guest is expected.

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Gonna share something with you guys called a reverse adress search.
    It's free.All you have to do is enter in the street you want the address' for and it will give you a list of the names,and number of the home.
    The names aren't updated often,so I would recommend listing it as Resident or Occupant.Just go to the bottom of the page and enter the info and never pay for this public info again. :D
    http://kevdb.infospace.com/_1_2FIUT...&QFM=A&QK=5&ClickTRK=REVAD1&QHN=&QST=&QC=&QS=