1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gated neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jul 23, 2005.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

Is there anyone that has experience advertising with gated communities. I was thinking to just mail them a postcard/flyer if I can acquire all the addresses in the neighborhood or once in a while their gates are left open so I could just walk in? What do you guys do?
  2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

do your hw and get the mailing addresses.... it doesn't justify not doing your hw and getting arrested or fined for trespassing....
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

All of my accounts are in gated communities. You can do it 2 ways, legal or illegal way. You have to ask your self that one.

Me personallly, I chose the illegal way.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

around here gated communities either have a single co do every house or only the best known companies have enough snob appeal to even get hired. many times these upscale areas have small circulation newspapers that mail a free copy to everyone in a certain area. if you place a classy ad in them would definitely ring the phones. just dont show up in a rustbucket wearing ratty old jeans. :rolleyes:
  5. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Showcase is right, most gated communties have a newsletter that is sent to all the residents, I accually live in a gated community and you can buy a small amount of ad space. Don't go hanging flyers on people's doors, all of them will just throw it away without even glancing at it.
  6. chuck_jax

chuck_jax LawnSite Member

I live in a gated community. Once per year, our community publishes a list of all the names and addresses of the owners. I suspect most other communities do the same. Try to get your hands on one of those.

Also, you might try talking to a realtor to see how you can easily get names and addresses.

Another idea is to go to the county record office, but that is a pain.

Try the internet.
  7. BlazingSun

BlazingSun LawnSite Member

My suggestion would be to snag the FedEx or UPS guy on his way into the community one day. They normally have a pretty good feel for how to get the info you need.

I drive for FedEx in the winter and part time in the summer, so I know the lists are available, just got to find the right person to get you the lists and access code to the gate.
  8. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

If you really want to get the names and addresses, go to the gated community's HOA meeting which they discuss different topics. Usually we have a HOA meeting once a month where all the homeowners are invited to discuss different items. Talking to a realtor might work, but sometimes they can't give out information if a homeowner does live in a gated community for privacy reasons. Try the HOA meetings.