Gated Yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freshprince94, Jun 18, 2008.

1. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys with large machines (48, 52, 60), do you just mow gated backyards with a 21" or not take them at all?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Most modern gates are 44, a 42 is ideal or a 36. Walker and Wright have 42's with Walker being a easy deck swap to any size or style.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Usually I will use my 21" for any gated backyards. But if it is big backyard then the gates tend to be big enough for me to fit my 52" back there.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Most gated yards here in Houston have gates that are only 36" so the fastest way for me to cut them is to use my 32" walkbehind, or my 21" Snapper.

5. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

only have 1 and i mow it with a 21. takes about 10 minutes.

6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

believe it or not but i have actually asked my customers if i could turn their single gate into a double gate and most of the time they say yes.

7. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Don't know about your area but here where I live about 20-25% of owners have a gate. I bought a 36 inch WTB just for this purpose....didn't really want to be turning down 20-25% of my customers. Also....I have two properties that are literally so small and so close together....that if I used my 52 inch mower than I would be going way into the neighbors yard as I took a swipe down the side. Not sure how the neighbors would feel about having have their yard mowed on one side and not the other....so again... I use the 36 WTB for this purpose.

I can see how a 21 inch would be enough if you were just starting out like myself....but I can also see how if you get enough yards with fences...and you are walking all these gated areas out with a 21 inch....that you would be seriously slowing yourself down. I use a sulky on my 36 and off I go. Much...much faster....light years faster.

8. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I use the 36 if my 48 doesnt fit. I hate using 21's with a passion after using them for years. Some of the gates are so crappy they are only hanging on with hinges and I just take them off and it fits right through.

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a 36 if possible and 21 only if inflating the price enough to cover the extra labor and effort.

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

No way on earth am I getting out a 21" mower. The ONLY gates around here that my 36 wb wont fit into are houses that were built a hundred years ago and I dont even want most of those customers. I cant imagine jumping off a big mower to push mow just a back yard.