Gates Vs. Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to know everyone'e opinion on the whole gate issue. I have heard talk about it before but never in any detail, just mentioned in passing.

If a home owner/business has a gate that is 36" or less do you.....???

1. Bid higher because your equipment will not fit through the gate and therefore you have to break out the 21" and it is the home owner's responsibility to have an adequate sized gate.

OR

2. Bid the same as a similar lawn that has a 50" or bigger gate because it is your responsibility as a professional LCO to have the correct equipment to do the job.

Thanks for the responses

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a gateway so I figure that everyone is gonna bid it high so if guys without my equipment would do it for 50 cause they gotta push it I do it for 45. I try and get as much as I can being cheap menas your gonna be looking for a job

3. Tn Lawn Man

Thanks for the reply

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Time equals money.

If your gate doesn't let our 48" mower inside then I have to revert to the old 21" push mower...which means more time...more money...

5. Tn Lawn Man

I hate to see this thread get pushed to the back. I really want to know everyone's opinion.

Thanks

6. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i have the same problem with some new yards for this year.i was considering buying a ferris hydrocut for these problem yards.

7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a $30 minimum and thats for houses I can get my 48 all the way around wether or not it has a fence. If I need to use my 36 it goes up to $35 no matter how big the back yard is. If it comes off the trailer I charge extra.

If I need my push mower...I dont take the job.

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i will never use a push mower.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It really doesn't matter if you can get the mower through the gate or not. If the yard is a $30 yard then what you use doesn't matter to the customer. If you raise the price then they will find someone who will do it for $30. That is why the customer calls more than one LCO in the paper to get estimates.

Some other LCO will have the correct equipment to get throught the get OR will be willing to do it for $30 if they only have a 21" to get through the gate.

So it comes down to how bad you want the yard for the income.

10. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, what I meant to say was

"it goes to $35 no matter how SMALL the backyard is.