Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jetski900stx, May 6, 2005.

1. Jetski900stx

Jetski900stx LawnSite Member

Is there any trick to get a 48" mower thru a 48" gate?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What is it,..a Z or a wb?
  3. Jetski900stx

Jetski900stx LawnSite Member

It's a bunton wb
  4. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

You'll need your sulky for this one. build you a 30 degree ramp place it 30 feet away from the gate entry. back up a 100 yard bulid your max speed on the wb and ride it sideways on two wheels. Be sure you maintain a good balance till you past the fence. Good Luck, you may need to watch Duke's of Hazzards a few times to get the hang of it.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetic grease may work but you may scratch the paint!
    Wait until the ground is saturated and you may be able to pass it thru but you will probably damage the lawn or the gate. If it is a chain link fence you may be able to move it a little.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

take off the chute and go slow?
  7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

you can jocky a 52" mower through a 48" gate if you take your time......

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here. I copied this from a post I did a few years ago.

52" cut through a 36" gate. I do it all the time. With the gate open, pull the mower up and turn it sideways.(not up on it's side, but facing the same way as the length of the fence) Roll it back just a little, and stick the sied edge of the deck into gate opening. If the gate opens to th left as you're looking at it, then stick the right side through first. If the gate opens to the right as you're looking at it, then stick the left side through first. This is only if the gate opens inward-if it opens outward,(toward you) then it is the opposite of this. Now, once you have the edge of the deck poking into the gate opening, shimmy the mower toward the fence (pivot the front and pulling the back sideways) so the rear tire goes right up against the pole. Now, this SHOULD be the pole opposite the one with the gate. Pull the mower back slightly and pivot the whole mower so that the post goes between the front of the back tire, and the rear of the deck. (that little gap) As you pivot the mower in, the front caster(s) will hit the gate and post. Push down on the handlebars to raise the front of the mower (keeping the other post still tucked in that gap) and follow through with the pivot - the front casters will roll or rub on the gate at what ever height they are at (usually about 18" or so) Make sure your casters are swiveled inward of the mower to shorten it's length. After you pivot it straight, set the front end down, and wha-lah! you're in! When coming back out, repeat, only I pull the back of the mower through first, then stick it in to the post and lift. Also, I try to do this on the opposite side of my battery. I know this sounds like alot, but it really isn't all that bad, as I have just explained it in detail. The whole procedure takes only about 30 seconds each way. Once you do it a few times, it comes naturally.
    I hope this helps.
  9. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

i love the reply with jumping the gate lolz
  10. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Talk them into switching to the newer style 60" wide one. My 54" deck even fits thru them.