Gateway Hints for Better Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres a couple of hints to make your gateway stripe and cut alot better. Go and get mower blades made for a 52" bob-cat the ones that curl on the end of the blade, also take the middle castor wheel off that helps it cut alot better in the wet and lets it stripe better also. But beware that it can start to ware the pin that releases the fold up deck. So try to take the castor wheel off only when wet. You should be very happy with the better mowing and stripes. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They need to covert those over to the Gen II decks also it sounds like...
    The new Chariot LX I demoed striped like crazy stock.

3. Gatewayuser

Can you put that deck on the gateway? The deck on the gateway is fixed.
    Thanks for the response I will have to see if they sell that for my mower.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

A rubber flap works to. :)

5. Gatewayuser

I have tried a flap and it didn't work to well. Also its too hard to make a striper because of the fold up wing and the wheels are to close to the deck.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, but I would look for changes towards a Gen II deck for the next generation of gatewatys.

To see the style of the Generation II decks, go to Great Dane's site and click on Chariot LX. They have a unique deck design to say the least and it really does work well. It's just no fun to clean out that front deck lip though...

7. Gatewayuser

I would like to buy another great dane but I am afraid of the stripe issue and they cost a good deal more than other w/b. But I will have to test the new deck and mower out and see how it does.
    Thanks for telling me envy I was not aware of the change. :waving: