1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by SandSland, Mar 31, 2004.

1. SandSland

SandSland LawnSite Member
    from MassNH

Has anyone had experiance with the great dane gateway? I needed a mower that can fit in gated lawns. I was just wondering what people know about them. Thanks!
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have answered this question a dozen times...Do a search.
    I have had mine going on 4 years. Add a pro slide, very productive. It's like having two WB's. If you can get past the third wheel mark in the stripe you will be ok. Customers don't notice.
    I have 725 hours on my mower. The usual belts, tires, blades, and one switch. The 17 Kawasaki is enough, but the 20 Kohler would be even better.
    i just re read this post, sorry for all the choppy sentences. It was one of those 20 lawns by yourself days.
  3. SandSland

from MassNH

thank you very much for your reply!
  4. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I bought one about 2 months ago. It's a demo with about 50 hrs. on it. It has the 22 hp Kohler and it's a monster. I had to take it back to the dealer to get the tracking straightened out, but now I love it. That being said, I have removed the third (middle) wheel and only put it on if I need to get through a gate. Only takes a minute. This way, I don't leave a third wheel mark. It leaves a nice cut with hi-lifts on it. I'm thinking of going to doubles to make the clippings a little smaller though. You won't have any trouble with high or wet grass if you go with the larger engine. As you may have seen in the GD website, the added wing is great going around water, curbs, etc. I use a velke with it and it pulls great. I've thought about going to a pro slide for a better stripe. I bought a striper kit off e-bay and it does alright but it's a tad too long and protrudes past the left wheel. I've e-mailed GD to check on a striper kit but they don't have one and as far as I know, won't have one anytime soon. If you're interested in one, let me know. I maybe selling mine just for the fact that I didn't get as many gated properties as I thought I was going to. I'm thinking of going to a ztr 'cause I got some larger properties and some commercial accounts.
  5. SandSland

from MassNH

thanks for the info. ill keep it in mined about yours