Gator Blade Mystery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Dec 22, 2003.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 99 36" toro fixed deck walkbehind last summer that was my mulching mower for small residental yards. I bought a set of Magnum Gator Blades for it and put them on.....the first yard I went to I started mowing the yard I noticed a stripe of uncut grass between the blades. I took the blades off and measure them tip to tip with the blades that came with my mulching deck and got the same length. I just bought a new 36 exmark fixed w/b and put the blades on and have the exact same problem. I checked the parts number and they match what I need. Anyone else have this problem?? :confused:

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Your problem is likely lush turf which often causes a strip in the middle w/gators when mulching.

You also might want to check the balance. I got a box of Gator Mag's from an online retailer last year & they wildly unbalanced. I believe the serrated edges on one side of the entire lot were improperly spaced & sized.

gator mag.jpg

3. 2k1yzfr1

Each blade is perfectly balanced using a magna matic. Do the gators not do well in thick St Augustine yards?? I've seen all the post about the double blades. Does running 2 blades help much?? I hate that I wasted the money for these blades and haven't had a chance to use them.

4. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I haven't had this problem et using gators on my Husky 36". And all we just about cut is St. Augustine

5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Gator Blades, do leave the strip. They will do it on Scag's also. ANother LCO ask me this past year if I had any problems when running the mulch kit I told him no. He said his left a strip down the middle. I told him he needed to use the Scag mulching blades and take the gator's off. He took my advicse and I saw him a few weeks later he said problem was fixed. The problem is the blades and dont think it has to do with the balancing.

6. 2k1yzfr1

Wonder why they would leave a stripe down the middle?? Seems to me an 18" blade should cut the same as another 18" blade?? :confused: So what mulching blade should I run on this exmark?? The ones that came with it are the curved weird looking mulching blade.

7. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

Same thing happened to me, put them on and took them right back off the cut was horrible it left the strip you were talking about it was on a 36" exmark

8. 2k1yzfr1

That's crazy....... atleast someone out there is having the same problem as I am. From what I read Gator Blades are the next best thing to sliced bread. Does anyone else have any idea as to what could be causing this?? My dealer told me to bring it up to him tomorrow and have him take a look at it. I'm going to take the gator blades, the mulchers that came with the "mulch kit", and the stock blades up there and have him scratch his head at it. Weird thing is the gators and the curvy mulching blades are the exact same length ( about a 1/16" of an inch less than the stock blades which are 18" on the dot.)

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what he is there for good luck

10. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

From my experience the only mulching blades that work properly on an exmark are the wavy exmark mulching blades.