Gator Blade Results (Undecided)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willie1227, May 14, 2004.

1. willie1227

willie1227 LawnSite Member

Put on a set of Gators this week and went out to cut yesterday. Looked behind me and saw more grass clumps than I was seeing with just my standard exmark mulching blades. Im giving them one more go tommoro but Im thinking I might just go back to standard mulching blades. I must be misinformed but I thought these things were the greatest. Anybody else have a comparison?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what you get with Gators at this time of year. They are just not designed to cut gras. I don't care what ANYone says, because there have been a few on here that say how well they work in grass. Actually, the fact of the matter is, is that they tend to produce tiny little balls or clumps of grass, es[ecially at this time of year, when the grass is wet and sticky. You may not see them all right when you cut, but drive by a day a later and you sure notice them. I just use a solid foil high lift - DC style, and sometimes I will run a low-lift mulching blade on top of that. As a matter of fact, it's getting about that time for me to start RUNNING doubles. I DO use Gators in the fall, because there is just no comparison to them for clean-up.

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, i just threw some gators on my 48 for the first time and i love them, this time of year i was having to double cut and bag lots of houses, now i just double cut, ill be throwing a pair on my 36 next week and will never use standard blades again

4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I only use my "Gator-type" blades in the fall for mulching leaves when there is not that much grass growth. They do a great job for this in my opinion.

I am not a big fan of them for cutting grass.

They are on a Scag 48" fixed deck with a 14 Kawa. I call them "Gator-type" since they are from J-Thomas and are slightly different than the true Gator blades. I think the fins are twisted the other way and there are only 3 instead of 4. Just my recollection. But they were cheaper so why not.

Good luck with your situation.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Runner is absolutely correct!

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well i have been running gators for a while. But don't cut as nice. But yesterday i tried the regular blades and then the gators on top of them on my 52" stander. All i can say is wow. The cut is 10 times nicer and the grass is still chopped up into smaller pieces.

7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Gators are hit and miss.

They will improve the cut on some machines and make others worse.

You tried them on your machine and they do not work. Repace the factory blades and stick with them. I have heard so much good and bad things concerning Gator blades that I would not waste my money on them.

8. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GATOR BLADES AND RAPTOR BLADES?

HEY, Itsgottobegreen, SO YOU ARE PUTTING 2 SETS OF BLADES ON EACH SPINDLE? DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD DO THAT AND WOULDN'T THAT RUIN YOUR SPINDLES?

9. willie1227

willie1227 LawnSite Member

I should have trusted my dealer when he told me they were meant for the fall. I had just heard others singing the praises of using them for cutting. Im definitley putting the factory blades from the mulch kit on in the morning. It will give me something to do with the rain we have been getting this week.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

gators are a hit and miss. Without a doubt they are great for the fall.