gator blade review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

today i bought and installed a set of gators on my eXmark. Ive got to tell you, they are awsome. i have my mower set up to discharge and they work fantastically for it. i was cutting pretty long, thick kuntucky blue grass. They chopped the grass up so well that there was barely anything comming out of the discharge of the mower. They created great lift as well and left a very nice stripe. This allowed me to mow in third and fourth gear instead of second on my lawns and still got a flawless cut!! I am very happy with these blades!!

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Glad you enjoy them. In my experience they are the worst blade on the market. I feel you sacrifice deck lift, cut quality, and discharge distance. They also seem to really gum up if the grass is wet causing more then normal clumping. I have never noticed any reduction in clipping size, but if there is, it is offset by the other cuttting issues. If it works for you awesome, but they are not for me.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

gators are the only blades i use. of course i only mulch

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You may change you mind next spring. Great for fall leaves though.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

these won't be for spring, i know whatll happen if i try that, my mulchers are going back on in the spring, i am looking forward to fall cleanups with these though, really reduce the size of the leaves before they go in the truck!

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Gators are good in some situations and really bad in others ie: wet grass. If you're going to use them for leaves, I suggest you by a couple of extra prefilters for your air cleaner and change them often.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Gators are overated, for just grass cutting/side discharge, the only way yto go is with the factory blade. atleast with my exmarks. Most Gators are too thick and take away for RPMS, and the also make too many clumps.

8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just tried out Gators on our Hustler Wb's and have not been real impressed. When discharging the clippings where smaller but they didnt get thrown very far and when it was wet the grass turned into cole slaw. Didnt seem to get as much lift and they would only pack our Accelerators half full. Tried using a Highlift and right side and the catcher was still only 3/4 full. Today we put the high lifts back on and the cut was soo much better.

However....Leaves are always another story so we will see, and when using the gators the mowers didnt use as much fuel compared to the high lifts.

9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have them on my toro and they are great...as for my dixie chopper they were a waste money. must be something with the decks.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen 3 bladed mowers with gators only on the discharge spindle. I haven't done that yet but, I'll try it sometime.