Gator Blade

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cajuncutter, Aug 18, 2006.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

PJ
    In a previous post you mentioned Hustler no longer carries the Gator. I mentioned that you all had a lock on the freakin thing for my mower. I contacted Mowpart yesterday and gave them both the Hustler high lift blade number and the Gator number. The guy spent 30 minutes looking high and low and found nothing. Could you please look up the specs so I can start getting these blades from these guys? The gator/Hustler number is 779348. You can hardly find squat on the part number on Google. Please give me the specific specs on this blade. I have run Rotary's version of Gators before but they were not wide enough for the saddle and they did not have the drop the Gators have. They were almost straight across. I would only use them during the leaf season and they did ok but I was a little nervous because of the saddle issue.
    Caj

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will see what I can do for you.
    We do not have a lock on them, we buy them from Oregon, the same company that 90% of the mower mfg's use and also among the largest aftermarket parts suppliers out there, we have no special arrangements with them to not offer it through there catalog.

Pj

3. cajuncutter

Actually I found out last week if the blade has any other number on it than an actual gator number then it is an OEM number for the manufacturer of the mower. Hustler has its own OEM number on that blade. Good news is I think the guys at Mowpart.com found the blade. It looks like the same blade that a toro uses. I should get them on Tuesday. I am keeping my fingers crossed, this will save me lots of dough!! :) The kicker has always been the fact that I am requesting a 19 inch blade for a 54 inch deck and everyone keeps telling me that they have them for a 52 inch deck. Also the fact that most all blades are 2.75 wide where mine are 2.5 wide with a 1/2 hole. This kept throwing everyone for a loop.

4. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

5. cajuncutter

Thanks for the link but no good for me. These blades are a 19 inch blade that are 2 5/8ths wide. I do not know the degree drop but they drop a lot. I recieved the toro blades that we thought would work from mowpart but they ended up being way off. So I shipped them back to them. I included one of my old blades so hopefully they can figure it out. It is a really odd blade size.

6. Mow Better

Mow Better LawnSite Member

I have used the blades from Express Mower Parts. They work just as well as Gator and a heck of a lot cheaper.

7. cajuncutter

Well Friday it was confirmed by an Oregon dealer. The Hustler blades are exclusive to Hustler only. No one else has a 2 5/8 wide blade with the drop this thing has. I bought a set today from the Hustler dealer and the price was outrageous. I would not be surprised if the price was pumped because of the ordeal I had a little over a month ago. Anyway $17 and some change plus tax per blade is uncalled for. I guess I will deal with the little play in the saddle and compensate for the lack of drop in the blade before I ever buy another set of those blades, especially at these prices. Everyone else gets to buy $9 blades so why shouldn't I? P.J. if you do not believe this contact Oregon. Even last time I talked to Larry he seemed unaware of the fact that this blade is available for hustler dealers only. This is ridiculous! :mad:

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They are not exclusive, Oregon CAN produce them for their aftermarket catalog, if they choose not to it does not mean we have any exclusiveness to them.
    I am not aware of any OEM blades that are $9.00, as in with the OEM part # on them, not aftermarket.
    What I am saying is, because aftermarket suppliers are not up to date with our blades and applications, it is not our fault, they have gotten better, but all of our blade options are not available, and to further note, many applications and sizes listed by the aftermarket catalogs are wrong.
    The simple answer to the higher price of this blade is that it is not a high volume blade, we sell some yes, but no where near what we sell in other popular #'s, thus our pricing (what we buy them for) is not as good as the higher volume part #'s.

Pj

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Also.........
    We do not "pump" any pricing, our pricing is done the same way on every single part we offer.

10. cajuncutter

PJ, Doug at Mowpart contacted Oregon today and verified that indeed that those blades were made exclusive for Hustler and they do not reproduce "aftermarket" blades. The gators have an original OEM number on them. Oregon does however allow non Hustler dealers sell the OEM high lift blade. It now sports a regular Oregon number. I am not trying to argue you I am just going by what Doug told me. Feel free to contact him to verify. Post on his sponsor forum if you so wish. As far as the pricing on the blade, well I am sorry to inform you but when you go to a dealer and buy parts as a homeowner you will pay one price and a commercial lawn company will pay another. The lawn guys as a rule of thumb will pay less. Perhaps you are not familiar with this practice. Even my buddy that is an Exmark dealer does this and I know that for a fact. Same goes for LESCO and many others. I did not say that Hustler "PUMPED" the price. Maybe I caused them too much grief over the Super Z.