Gator Blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by solaman, Oct 14, 2013.

1. solaman

solaman LawnSite Member

I'm getting a Hustler Raptor 42 inch and want a set of Gator blades. I looked them up on Oregons webb site and they have several to choose from. I want the best mulching blade I can get . They offer a G3,G5 and G6. What one ya'll think will work the best. I have a email into Oregon, but have'nt gota reply. Thanks for any advice.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If you are blocking the discharge chute full time, then go with the 3in1 Gator. These will work OK if you unblock your chute and side-discharge.

IFF you are mostly/always side-discharging, then the G5 or slightly thicker G6 will provide a lot more lift/airflow resulting in a better quality of cut (QOC). These are designed primarily for side-discharging only.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Each deck behaves differently. I get really good results with my Quick 44 running G5's

Same type of blades on the Q32 deck not as good of a combo with mulch plate installed.

I even run a G6 on my yBravo25 with outstanding results in full mulch mode.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got G6's for my Great Dane 52" surfer. They work very well. It had G3's on it.
    I believe the G5 blades are hi-lift so if ur mulching, stick with 3's or 6's
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

G5's and G6's are identical in lift. G6 is a full 0.25" thick. G5's are 0.203" if my memory is correct.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

So are the G3's. They are the same exact lift as the G5/G6, but are only 2.5" wide and .203" thick (like the G5). The G3's get confused a lot for the older, regular 3-1 gators. The G3's have the extended cutting edge and high lift sail, but no fusion treatment. I have been running a set all summer on one of my mowers, and they work great. I remember when the G6's came out the rep here said they needed the full 3" to get the lift, but that struck me as odd because they were already getting the same lift on the 3-1 high lifts now called the G3. The G3's have the same 1 1/4" lift as the others as I said previously.

7. solaman

solaman LawnSite Member

Yes I will be side discharge so I am going to go with G6's. Does anybody no who has the best prices on the internet.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

9. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

The thinner G5s are a little easier on the clucth and engine... That's what i'm running
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

They work excellent either way buy I mostly run g5's and g6's with a closed discharge chute. While I'm sure the other sites are great, I had a great offer from Bailey's so I've bought from them multiple times and received excellent service.
    Posted via Mobile Device