1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator Blades and Exmark.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 18, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I need to replace the blades on my exmark and was thinking about going to a single gator configuration...anybody else doing this?

Exmark HP52" w/Kawi motor
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

are you side discharging or mulching? if mulching you want to stick with the stock excalibur mulching blades, they are the best and anything else disturbs airflow under the deck. don't use doubles either.
  3. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Side discharge only.

I heard that out right mulching is a real PITA.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

well, i guess it depends on what you are cutting really, i see you are up there in zone 5 so i'm not sure how your cut would be. as far as installing the mulch kit, it's not hard at all. here in the south we cut zoysia, bermuda,and some fescue with no troubles with the mulch kit. wirey weeds can be a pain sometimes, just make sure you have fresh blades. i'm not sure how the gators do side discharging grass, but i know they shred the fire out of leaves in the fall. are you running the factor notched foils or the solid excaliburs? i am really impressed with the solids.
  5. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Nope. I'm running regular old blades and don't know to much other than that. I don't think they are high lift. I was interested in getting something with a little more lift and a little more munching power. I don't think I'll be doing a mulch kit any time in the near future.
  6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I have found that Gators do not have the needed lift for wet, high, spring grasses on anything larger than my 36" mowers. We run factory high lift on all the Zs and sometimes use the Gators as doubles above the factory's. Just remember that the doubles are hard on blade clutches that cost 300 to 600.

After grass slows down and blades thicken up we run Gators on everything...Chuck
  7. MikeLT1Z28

jump over to the exmark forum and ask terry or someone what the factory part # is for the excaliburs, not the mulching ones, the regular ones. run to your dealer and try a pair of those.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I just bought some blades from J-Thomas and love them. High-lift mulchers, I use them with the mulch kit and love them. Tall, wet, cuts great one pass. I have them on the 36" and the 60". Leaves a nicer cut then the excliburs did, at least for me they do.

PALANDSLAVER LawnSite Member

Gator high lifts seem to work great on all of our mowers, no matter what the conditions. We faithfully run run them on all of our mowers and have no problems, no matter the make.

2 60'' Lazer Z's
    1 60 '' Turf Tracer HP WB
    1 52'' Turf Tracer HP WB
    1 48'' Turf Tracer HP WB
    2 36'' Exmark vikings
    1 44'' Toro Proline WB
    1 60'' Cub Cadet WB(very old)
  10. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

We run Standard Gators on all our mowers year round. No problems with cut
    quality although in the spring due to the fast growth you have to double cut some yards....I don;t thing regular blades did any better so I'm sticking w/ gators for now.