Gator Blades and grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boneslawns, Mar 8, 2011.

1. boneslawns

boneslawns LawnSite Member
    from indiana

anyone run gator blades all year, not just for leaves or do they do that bad of a job on grass? Just thought it would be good in spring so you didn't have to double cut so much!

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like the gators with grass. Leaves and junk only. The gators seems to leave tiny clumps. Just the high lifts for grass, super clean.

3. karlgrooms

karlgrooms LawnSite Member

I run em all year without much ado. They actually work quite good and i cant tell any difference in clumping when grass is wet.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i run em all year with no complaints except in really thick wet grass

5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use Gators for Spring/Fall cleanups. High lifts the rest of the season.

6. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I can't run them year round here, but I like them in the early spring. I have to run high lifts during the prime growing season.

7. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

gator blades are supposed to mulch the grass into smaller pieces than high lifts do...at least that's what they say...either one does a great job to me

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

In wet grass they make a mess. I only use Gators doubled up with Hi Lifts to spread it better.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

They work fine as a mulch blade in dry conditions, but with wet grass the last thing you want to do is continually chop up the grass before it is processed back into the turf. Big goopy mess. A low lift with down force in the center is a better option IMO.

10. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

this ties into that other thread...DON'T CUT THE GRASS WHEN IT'S WET!!!!...lol