Gator blades comments and review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gebby, Jul 16, 2011.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

Gator G6 are the only blades I use. work better than high lifts yet they are cheaper in price. $50 a set instead of $70 a set for factory high lift blades. it's a no brainer.

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I have been running these blades by Rotary, they are the same blade as Exmarks Extreme Mulcher but just Rotary's version of them.. It looks like the blades I have would have more lift than the G6's & besides the width can't see why the Gators would be any better as far as cut..

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

is January "bring back old threads" month?

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I can tell you a couple reasons why G6/5/3 high lifts are better Weaver-

1- the teeth are twisted the wrong way on the rotary blades, and force the air and clippings outward towards the skirts instead of inward and in "the zone" where the cutting edges and teeth can re-cut the clippings repeatedly.

2- the Oregon blades have the fusion treatment on the cutting edges and stay sharper longer.

3- Oregon blades are thicker (at least compared to all the rotary blades like your I've seen), which means less flexing in thick grass and a cleaner, smoother cut.

4- the outer tooth is what gives most of the lift, and it is larger on the Oregon blades

IHTH:)

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try a set of the G6's & see. Seems like everyone likes them. I have run Gators in the past, just not the G6's but really have no problems with the Rotary's. I did see the edge on the G6's and that's cool if they stay sharper longer. I can mow thick lawns with mine & they seem to produce a very good cut and still through the clipping out good as well, what small clippings are left. Plus I can through my Accelerator grass catcher on & it packs full like when I use my high lifts..

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I believe that yours throw clippings well, and also work with filling your catcher since the teeth are twisted in the direction that favors doing both (throwing the clippings outward). I think you'll be happy with the Oregon blades, maybe even more than your rotary's.:)

7. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

I love the G6 and G5s I ordered ten sets if the G5s only gripe is they will flex in the thick grass... After I use the G5s up I will go back to G6s.... That should be mid spring...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Define this one! Couldn't find it even on netlingo.com...:confused: ;)

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You must not hang out on any gun boards then. It's a common abbr on most.:)
    IHTH= I hope this helps

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Well...gotta say I'm disappointed in netlingo.com for not having this one. :cool: :gunsfirin