Gator blades comments and review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gebby, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You shoulda checked hillbillly/redneck lingo.com :laugh:

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got mine today and must say they look like a beast compared to what i've been using.. can't wait till spring...

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Blade flex in think grass...? How are you able to tell...?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Where the blades meet it will get uneven... If I slow down it dosnt do it... The G6s don't do it at all...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still blown away at these things. You can definitely tell a difference when doing a side by side. They're huge compared to the Rotary's I've been using..

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I told you I thought you'd like them. Glad you do too.:)

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

oh don't be scared of the size of the G6 blades either. they actually put way less drag on your engine than stock high lift blades do. I guess since the blades are slotted there is less drag when mowing thick or wet grass.

I have 26hp kawi fx engine. now 23.5hp. it would bog down bad in tall/thick/wet grass with stock blades. with g6 blades it doesn't really bog at all unless the grass is a foot tall or something. :laugh:

8. I've had a chance to try the Gator blade in the dry. It's been in the 30's C [90F] for the last few days, hot and dry.
    My biggest concern was the condition of the underside of the deck after cutting in the wet last/first time. The cut was good, though the grass was a bit thin, the underside of the deck was clean. Not as clean as before cutting, but clean enough to not have to clean.
    So, cuts well in the wet tall grass although it gets quite messy inside the deck. Cuts well in the dry with a nearly unmolested deck.
    So far, they are great, and if they last as long or longer than the more expensive stock blades, they'll be what I'll use.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I see G5/6 blades as most useful when I want to process the clippings into finer pieces. There are times, especially when there's more moisture (think lush Spring growth &/or dew on tall/tallish turf) when high lifts are a better choice just so I can cut the grass and get it out from under the deck more quickly. YMMV
    IOW, they are situationally dependent. I do carry a variety of blades to better match the current avg conditions and will change them out if needed.

For mowing/discharging grass, the G5/6's are a huge step up from the older 3in1 Gators. Though for mulching with the mulch plate ON = the 3in1's have less blowout and I prefer them for Fall leaf mulching.