Gator Blades for Leaf Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Sep 2, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Can a high lift gator blade be placed on a Toro 21" commercial mower. I know they have an Atomic mulching blade but I did not like the cut it left. It seemed to have no lift and left the grass looking like it was bent down. Do these gator blades work well on leaves.

2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Joe,
    Yes, the gator blades CHEW up leaves like you would not believe.
    I used them on my Toro Pro-Line 21" and they worked great. Also the Toro Atomic blade work good also. Hope this helps.
    Mowman

3. casey

casey Guest

We will be putting gators on all our 21's this fall (Toro's & L.B.'s). Using one on a Toro now for some light leaves & works better than the factory blade. I thought the Atomics were the same as the gators. What's the dif Joe?

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Casey,
    I don't know what the difference is between the atomic and gator blade. I believe they are the same. When I tried the atomic on the Toro, I did not like the cut. There did not seem to be enough lift. What about you?

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I noticed the atomic blades dulled down after a few hours. They are made of JUNK steel! You would think lighter metal would do better. NOT! The best blades I have ever used are the Gator Magnums. Very hard steel. Thicker also. I can now go all week without sharpening.My Atomic blades are barely used but sit in my storage box with cobwebs on them. :cool:

6. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

JOED, the difference between Gator and Atomic is brand; Atomic is Toro, Gator is also a trade name but I believe there are several generic blades called "Gator". My dealer sells a generic line and they are not even close to the same shape as the Toro blades - not saying which are better, I haven't tested them enough yet.

7. super6

super6 LawnSite Member

JOED

Do you know where in Ontario i can buy a Gator Blade ? I'm from the Whitby/Oshawa area. Thanks Mike

8. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Do you only use them in the fall or are the good to have on during the entire season? Do they cut the grass well and shred clipping to pieces.