Gator Blades for Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gman2310, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Has anyone used gator blades on a walker. I just thought that would help shread leaves alittle bit better and allow for more leaves and grass in the catcher?

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

My experience with gators is they don't do good. They barely hit the bottom of the deck so I ground a little off the top and stopped that. They don't have enough lift to get the leaves off the ground. What leaves I was able to pick up they only helped a little bit. The quality of cut was not there for me also. Others say they like them and have good luck with them but they are not for me. If you want to pick up leaves, my suggestion is mow them first with a side discharge deck then pick them up with the bagger mower.

3. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I ran gator blades on my walker, the ones I got fit without hitting but I was not impressed with thier lift. It cloged, and wouldn't pick up alot of stuff, plus it didn't even mulch stuff up very much. I would recommend the high lift blades by oregon. Good luck
    Aaron

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I put gators on my 42" mulching deck and I thought they worked wonders for the leaves. A small yard, around 3k, that would normally take 3 hoppers full of leaves was left looking spotless after 2 passes with the mulcher/gators. With the regular blades, it was taking 3 passes to clean it up nicely.

5. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

The 52" deck with gators and a mulch plate seriously reduces leaves to the ci-onsistency of oatmeal in a very short time! If necessary--blow the leaves to the street or driveway and mulch 'em right there--you will be impressed!

The GHS mulch blades do not work well--the blades are spinning in opposite directions anyway, so anything affecting lift is a negative!

If you have the luxury of 2 WALKERS--a side discharge 52 and a GHS unit--great combo!

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I started using my bobcat WB with the mulch kit to mulch up the leaves. Makes a huge difference in what I collect with the Walker. Did a lawn that would have required at least 9 dumps with only 3 yesterday. Makes short work of alot leaves!!!!