Gator Blades for ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, May 23, 2005.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I've seen a lot about "gator blades" on this site. I'm thinking that maybe I should change to them on my ztr. I'm a homeowner with a 3 blade, 48 inch cut machine, and I cut about 2 acres.
    What are the advantages of gator blades, and how much should I pay? Are they hard to sharpen and balance?
    The road next to my house is gravel/rocks. So, I frequently hit rocks with the mower. Will gator blades tear up faster than normal blades? I try not to hit the rocks, but it's almost impossible not to.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

The used Bunton I bought I had a set of Gators or what looked like Gators on it when I bought it. Without a block off, I still shoot clippings out of the discharge. I have a feeling a block off plate or a deck with a mulching kit would probably do the trick.

They seem to work fine for me though. The clippings that do come out are really small.
  3. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

My mower is also a 48" with three blades. I use the gators with a mulch kit and they are doing an excellent job. The only thing that is a problem is when I make my turns there is a little bit of cut grass left on the top which isn't a problem because I do the edges after I am done mowing. This cleans the cut grass up.

About sharpening I'm not sure about that yet because I haven't had to sharpen them yet. I would call the dealer and ask them how to sharpen them.
  4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Just sharpen them like a normal blade. The only difference from a normal blade is that the lifted side has slits in it. No need to sharpen, or for that matter, do anything to those slits.
  5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

use the gators for fall leaves only. otherwise, you can't tell any difference.

one thing i noticed is that the wavy are MUCH better in the heavy growth. the gators and stock make longer clippings.....the wavy shred them VERY finely
  6. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have a Toro 23hp W62" deck.

I tried the Toro, "Atomic (I think thats what they called them) Blades". Cut was good but no lift was produced by the blades. This Spring with the dandelions I had to go over some areas several times to cut them back. Also where ever the front wheels pushed the grass down there wasn't enough lift from the blades to pull it up and cut. I just switched to the high lift blades and I like them much better.