Gator Blades in early spring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4curbappeal, Apr 9, 2008.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Is any one planning on using gator blades early this spring to kind of clean up before the heavy spring growth starts?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We're using them now for doing leaves and raking. When grass greens up though, we don't use them for mowing. They leave too many little clumps.

3. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont use them in the spring. They seem to leave little balls of grass all over the lawn. I do like them in the fall though.

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use them in the spring for cleans ups ...once the grass greens up and starts growing fast they come off.

6. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Has anyone had a chance to try the new 3-in1 Gator Mulcher? It has the "outside tooth" on each end repalced with an air lift to discharge and bag while still do the same job of mulching.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Fall only for me.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For me, Gator blades are a "Fall only" blade. In the Spring, when the grass is sappy and wet, the last thing I want is the clippings being chopped up. Well, they don't really "chop up," rather they turn to green wads and clumps. With the water content so high, I would much rather have longer clippings evenly spread, than shorter clippings (even wads and green balls) in rows, or being left so they turn brown in a couple of days.

NO to Gators for Spring cutting.

9. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

At Last We All Agree On Something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i Am Shocked!!

10. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

used em last year- great cut but left a clump on every turn....