gator blades... mulch kit, side discharge or bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, May 1, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i am in the market for some gator blades for my ztr.. i currently have a mulch kit but am not satisfied. do gator blades work well when side discharging or are they meant for mulch kits.. thank-you in advance..

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Scott, I run them on my 717 with the mulch kit and the 737 without the mulch, and they work good for me, or on the grass in my area anyway. If I windrow with the 737 you cant tell the difference from bagging or mulching. Also they work great with the mulcher on the 717 on leaves and straw, has eliminated almost all my bagging except for the few that still demand it.

3. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

How do those gator blades work when bagging the clippings?
    I've heard they don't have much lift so they don't suck the grass up very well.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I got a standard set of Gator blades a few years ago for my Exmark 36" Viking. They were not generating enough discharge to bag clippings. I set them aside, but bought hi-lift Gator blades two years ago. They will work for bagging. Without any objective measure, I think they generate a little less discharge than a standard OEM notched air-foil blade. But, I do know the results were distinctly different between the two blades (standard Gator vs. hil-lift Gator).

I'm sure the experiences are different for different mowing decks, so my findings may not apply for another mower.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

When using my accelerator they work fine, will pack it as full as the medium high lifts I was using. I,too, was concerned about them not having enough lift to bag but works fine. However, I dont know about using them with a bagger on the back though.