Gator blades on Exmark.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I installed Gator Mulching Blades on my 32" Ex Mark Metro and I like the cut. But it now throws some debris out of the front of the mower. Would it help to lower the front of the deck(Fixed Deck) or would that make it cut bad from not being level? Anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A questions...
    Are you side discharging or using the mulch kit?

3. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I use the mulch kit.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, 1st, gators with mulch kits work well with leaves. They do not work well when the grass is growing. They change the airflow and mess the cut quality up.

Don't change the deck yet. Start with the spacers between the blade and the spindle. How many do you have between? My guess is your probably at 3. Back it down 1 spacer. This will lift the blades up into the deck more. It will help some of the blowout problem. Some blowout is going to occur in leaves.

You can also do a search in the eXmark forum here to see what the factory guys have said, and even post a question with them to help you figure out the best way to solve it.

5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

The exmark 32" is not a mulching deck so it doesn't recirculate clippings well. I use the gators on mine and either discharge or bag, and have had no problems.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All eXmarks have mulching capabilities. You can get the mulch kit for the 32".

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am not sure all of them are. I have a couple from the mid-80's and from what I remember, they are just side discharge and catch. I would have to check again, but I don't remember seeing any holes on the deck to add a mulch kit or to block off the side discharge. Don't quote me on this, I would have to double check to make sure.

MATT

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I tried the Gators on my sexmark wb, and did not have good results. Way too much blow out, and it left clumps of leaves. I use the factory mulch blades and they do great. I look back and nothing but beauty!

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have one sexy machine. :p

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Try lowering the front of the deck 1/4 inch from the back. This is standard on all mowers if i am not mistaken.

SEXMARKS??? LOL Sounds like the workday would go alot better with one of those!! haha