Gator Blades on Troy-Bilt wide area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cfosceola, Aug 2, 2002.

1. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

Just put a set of gator blades on my troybilt 33" wide area, after calling a couple of dealers in my area, was told they dont make them, blade size on these are 17 3/4 inches, options were a 16, or a 18 in, because these have a 5/8 inch, one guy told me i could grind down an 18 in, but it would be a lot of grinding, so after thinking about it i went ahead with the 18 in blades, there was not a whole lot of difference in size so i just used a dremmel with a metal cutting bur on it and ground the center hole since it has a rectangular notch, matched the old blade with the new blade and after 30 minutes i had 2 new gators on my mower. What a difference in cut, the 18 in length just cleared the deck with about a 1/4 in to spare. Just thought i would share my info incase anyone else had one of these mowers and wanted to use gators

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Man, your really wanted a set of gators. :)

3. wingzofsteel

wingzofsteel LawnSite Member

I have a 1994 33 in Troybilt as well. What Dremmel bit did you use to grind out the center? I would like to give this a try. Thanks for giving us Troybilt 33 walkbehind users hope for a better cut.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How about you guys just buy a real mower. No professional would be caught dead with a Troy Bilt on their trailer.

5. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anyway you could post some detailed pictures of the gear shift on this unit I am putting one back together and can't seem to get it adjusted quite right? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Chris Feenan

Chris Feenan LawnSite Member

Troy Bilt 33 is a great mower for gated areas. It's a tank ! I have Scags and Toros ZTR's , but I love when I get a chance to run the Troy Bilt.

I gave up on Gator Blades for Troy Bilt, but appreciate the bit of barnyard engineering solution. As a leaf mulcher, I expect it would be hard to beat with the overpowered, overbuilt Troy Bilt and a pair of Gators - Thanks !

Dstifel, I downloaded the complete manual for free at one point. It is a PDF file, but I may be able to send it to you. I think I googled "Troy Bilt manual" when I found it. Let me know if you want me to try to send it to you.

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

That's a funny right there. :laugh:

8. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I found it thank you got my problem figured and runs great have you ever bagged with it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Chris Feenan

Chris Feenan LawnSite Member

Dstifel - Mine is a mulching deck. Do they make a bag to fit it ?

Orangemower - these are not bigbox type TroyBilts. They are old school tanks like the old Gravely field mowers. They will climb a tree and go thru anything. Do you have a reason for believing that Troy Bilt 33 with Gators would NOT eat big piles of leaves easily? Have you tried it, or are you just trying to start a pissing match ?

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You said "hard to beat" and Troy Bilt in the same sentence. LOL