1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator blades on Walker GHS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Feb 17, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried using Gator blades on a GHS Walker or similar machine? I was told that they reduce the load of clippings collected by a large percentage.
    Any advice?

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't yet but i have only seen them for the 48" or a 42" side discharge,if you find some for a 42" i'll try any thing once.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I looked in the Landscapers supply cat. and they only had them for the side discharge decks.
  4. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Try calling maker of Gator blades or looking on their web site. I belive the maker is silver something.
  5. jeffyr

Okay--I emailed the manufacturer.

From looking at their website ( Gatorblade.com ) I think I may know the answer. The angle of the lift redirects airflow to bring the cut grass blade back down to get cut agin 2-3 times. The knuckle biting raised fins don't cut anything (but my knuckles when sharpening). The just redirect the airflow. on the GHS this most likely won't work since the vac will suck up the clippings before they get re-cut anyway.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

7. jeffyr

8. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the Gator mulch blades using my 42" mulch deck. I did not like them. IMO, the orginal blades do a better job of mulching. I even tried them on leaves and was not impressed with their performance.

I have a friend that uses them on his 48" GHS deck and he likes them. But he built a plug for his chute so he does not bag while using them. Now where he got them I have no idea because I have not seen them for a 48" deck. But as I have no use for them I have not really looked. Next time I see him I'll ask where he got them.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Jerry's has Einstein mulchers for the
    GHS42" #302120 RH (these also fit the SD 42"& 62"), 302124 LH,
    GHS48" 302128 RH, 302132 LH,
    I use these on my 26hp EFI 48"ghs, do an excellent job, they seem to clip grass smaller and shreds leaves better for more compaction in the hopper.
    Here is their site, they give some pretty good deals and have a very informative parts website.

10. jeffyr

Here is the response I got (on a Sunday night!) from Gator Mulcher :

There is a gator blade for the 42" rear discharge Walker deck.  One blade
    is a left hand cut 22" long with a 5/8'' center hole and two 13/64'' outer
    holes. The other blade is a right hand cut with the same hole dimensions.
      If you are interested in ordering you may call us at (217)359-1234
    Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00 CST

How about that . Isn't email amazing.