gator blades used for side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, May 26, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i wanted to know if anyone has used gator blades for side discharging.. and what type of result did you get?

2. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i know someone out there has tryed this.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro atomics are similar, I discharge with these when I want to reduce the discharge distance, also with my Toro with turbo force deck with adjustable flow baffle by choking this with atomics I can discharge smaller than usual clippings generally.

4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have used gator blades on my scag walk behind for five years and like the cut and clipping dispersal much more with them. I have just started using them on my super Z and the look is very promising for them to stay on it as well.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

yep.. on all of my mowers... great cut

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

they are no problem for discharging

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Do they clump when wet?

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

they ball up more than clump I have noticed

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I do not like gators at all. To me they do not discharge very far, do not give a good clean cut in many conditions, and make a terrible mess when grass is even damp. Tall and dry can even cause wadding up of grass.

Jay

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've tried them all (Gator, Gator HI-Lift, and Gator Magnum) on my 60" Lazer.

NONE can compare with an Excalibur Highlift (Notched or Solid Foil) when it comes to mowing grass.

LEAVES are another story. Since in the fall, I drop my height of cut down to 3" and the Gators seem to do better.

SO.....If your a low cutter, you may be happy with them, but their lift properties is not nearly as good as a High lift Excalibur.

Great for Leaf season, but poor for grass cut over 3.5".