Gator Blades with OCDC vs. Mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Country, May 8, 2008.

1. Country

Country LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried both? I'm not sure which way to go. I want to mulch when conditions permit, but don't want the hassle of taking the kit off if the grass gets too tall.

I guess my question is, how much better of a mulch (in good conditions) will I get out of a much kit over just running gators and a closed off discharge chute????

2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ACS OCDC and run gators in the fall. When I leave the chute down I get a thin streak of leaves and grass down the entire discharge side (rt. side)on each pass. It isn't as obvious with my mulch kit. We usually double-cut everything during leaf season and it works great, but takes a little longer!

3. Country

Country LawnSite Member

Thanks 4curbappeal.

Anyone else???

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about the mulch kit but I just ran gators for the first time and was happy with the cut. The down side to them that I saw was the amount of build-up under the deck. I was not using an OCDC but would guess it would be really bad with that.

Needless to say the gators are off until leaf season.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

on my scag turf tiger, i run the gators with just the rounded mulch plate, with no baffles, and works great for me here. when grass is growing out of control during the rainy season, i do also have to either double cut the lawn or use the blower to blow out the lines of grass made by the plate. i would rather have the mulching plate on knowing that nothing is going to shoot out and break something!

6. Country

Country LawnSite Member

I want the versatility of being able to side discharge if the lawn is wet or overgrown. The gators and the OCDC should give me that, but at a higher price tag than the mulch kit. I still want a good mulch with dry conditions. I'm a little worried about getting that small "windrow" of clipping with the closed OCDC and Gators. My dealer quoted me $180 for the mulch kit and $280 for the OCDC. I already paid $45 for a set of gators (they're on back order).

I almost stopped in there today to order the OCDC, but then didn't. I've talked to him a few times about it and he always tries to talk me out of ordering it....

7. billslawn89

i've seen a lco that runs them on their mowers and i thought that was pretty cool...seen him mulching in parts of the lawn and opens the chute and lets the grass fly. i only have a few yards that i let the grass fly when its thick but i figured its cheaper for me to unbolt the mulching plate then to buy the ocdc at this time, once i seen the price. takes me less then a minute to take off the plate. oh well...

8. billslawn89

remember though, time is money....LOL..but appearance is everything!

9. Country

Country LawnSite Member

So billslawn89, With the gators and the block off plate, you're only getting the clippings line when it's too tall and/or wet?
    When you double cut, is that 2 times at the same height??

Thanks for the responses.

10. Country

Country LawnSite Member

Yeah, appearance is everything!