Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Anyone else have a problem with Gator's recommended blades for a mower turning out to be 1/8th'' short and leaving a very noticable line.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been selling aftermarket blades since 1983 and didn't notice much difference in quality of cut until just a few years ago. Our parts department is beginning to add more oem blades to our inventory.

Many of the quality of cut issues can be traced to aftermarket blades which are not exactly the same as oem. The results concerning which type of blade cuts best can be directly related to the mower deck design, type of grass being cut & weather conditions. In the South we try to avoid cutting wet grass, especially St. Augustine Grasses which are usually cut >4" high.

The Gator Blade issue is usually "I love'em or I hate'em" and the oem Gator type blades seem to work best. We are going to start tracing our customers satisfaction level with oem vs aftermarket blades of the same design. Collecting enough data to determine which blades perform best will not happen overnight and I would appreciate any input from LCOs who have qualifiable data, not just opinions, on this subject. The savings in mowing time could offset the additional dollar or two in blade pricing if double cutting could be eliminated.

How many LCOs use oem blades because of quality of cut?

Oldtimer

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

I will go along with OLDTIMER price alone does does not make a blade good or save you money.

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Oregon hi-lift gator blades on our Scags and they cut great. They actually cut better than the Scag eliminator mulching blades.

6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

All of our local cutters use gators and mag gators w/ no problems. I've never heard of a Gator leaving strips of grass uncut, until I started reading on here.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use gators for mulching, and no problem here with them.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Gators left a stripe uncut on my Toro 36" WB belt drive. It had to do with the decrease in lift. The regular hi-lifts did not have the problem.

Derek