Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Feb 12, 2001.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Whats the deal with Gator Blades? I hear people rant and rave, then another say they don't do much. I'm thinking about leaning towards them this season. Any suggestions?
    Do most dealers carry them, or do I order from catalog or web.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I only use them as a second blade in using double blades. With the slots in the back, they have less wind resistance which helps from loosing RPM's when using doubles. I've tryed using double Gators on grass, but they are not nearly as good as using a high lift along with the Gator. I get mine at Lesco, but a lot of dealers sell them.

3. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i can't say that i have used em. (yet).
    i have a 52" g-hopper and was wondering if they would work for that or are the gators "brand specific".

always looking for the greener grass.

4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I use them when I'm using double blades and also when I use just a single blade mulching, I think they are great and wouldn't think of not having them

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

they are MUST have on Southern grass

6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

Hunter as far as I know you can purchase gators for almost any brand mower

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Toro's Atomic mulching blades in my opinion are a little better than Gators, they are teflon coated and it stays on them a long time. Could just be me but seems like they stay sharper. I also run Gators but i perfer the Atomic mulchers. Marks Mowing Service

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

I use them and love them