gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groundcover Solutions, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

what is better about gator blades for my walkbehind than the regular blades?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what you are using them for, actually. They just chop and mulch better. For just mowing, nothing is better about the gators unless they are used in conjunction with other blades. With single gators, from what I understand by several members' experience, the cut comes out a little rougher because of the lack of lift from the serrated foils.

3. Groundcover Solutions

what do you mean "used in conjunction with other blades" i do not know very much about the gator blades. does this mean i use one gator blade and 2 normal. i don't bag very much.

4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

he`s talking about a doubble blade setup, like a hi-lift blade on the bottom and a gator on top, 2 blades per spindle.

5. Groundcover Solutions

i guess from reading some posts right now i have heard for the first time, doubling the blades. how do you butt them up to each other, paralel, perpendicular, upside down, right side up? i guess this is all new to me

6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

from what i have heard eric say you are suposed to put a hi-lift on the bottom and a gator on the top in a + pattern and torque them down as hard as you can, i am going to try doing that this year

7. Groundcover Solutions

all right thanks, only one more question though, is my blade that came with my mower likely to be a "high-lift blade"? or do i have to buy new ones?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hold on guys! Before you go run out and do this, do a little research on it first. Some mowers, that have cradles that hold the blades, you may not be able to do this with without modification. Also, it is recommended that you use a spindle bolt that is 1/4 inch longer than your original, as you will lose 1/4 inch thread penetration into your spindle due to the thickness of the second blade. Do a search on this subject and you will find plenty of questions and plenty of answers to help you see exactly what you need. If done improperly, this practice can be EXTREMELY dangerous! Deadly!

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Home town, you have been a member this long and you have not heard of double blades? How do you think I got my nickname? Go to my website and read about double blades and also go to my search page and read about double blades on two spots. This is one of the most talked about subjects for the past year or more. There are hundreds of posts on double blades.

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

jacobsen spindles do not have a adapter on them