gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deason, May 3, 2001.

1. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Went by the dealer today to check on some spare blades for my eX-Mark Metro. He Suggested "Gator Blades". Do they cut any better (or faster) than the regular ones? They do seem a little lighter. Any thoughts?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

They cut the grass up better. They are worth the $$ if you side discharge.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I like them, but dont have the patience when i have to sharpen them.

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any trouble sharpening mine. You've got me worried that I'm not doing it correctly.
    Bill

5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I nam not to crazy about them I ran them last fall and they did well with the leaves however this spring I ran them a few weeks and was not impressed with the cut. We went back with regular blades and a high left next to the discharge...

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I just dot a set yesterday along with a grass gobbler. No complaints so far. I was using doubles though. I didn't try them just by themselves.
    About how much do they cost at a dealer? I got mine for $9 of the net.

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

set of 3. $39.00

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

now i never thought of that eggy . might be something to try

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna try a set on my Toro SFS deck. The toro dealer seems to prefer recommending these over toro atomic mulchers.
    Also are there different lift gators?

10. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

Last season I ran the regular gators under my Great Dane. They did ok as long as grass wasn't too tall or wet. They seemed to clump bad. This season I tried the new gator hi-lift, and it was a major improvement, but mowing day after day, I realized that the blades are just too light to handle the load. After a day of mowing, The blades were all dinged up and extremely dull. So I decided to buy the magnums. This is the best purchase I have made as far as blades are concerned. Extemely thick, with 40% higher lift. The blades have high vacuum and can take a beating. They retail for about $20 a blade, but I order them from Landscaper Supply for $11.49. Big savings,