Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HydroCutter, Jan 5, 2007.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I would like to start mulching and stop bagging some of my customers. Some customers absolutely want bagging. With mulching blades on, can I still put a grass catcher on and catch the grass or will the grass not get thrown into the catcher?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yeah you can still bag. Just take off your discharge cover plate (obviously) and put your bagger on.

3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

The Gator blades work very well for bagging as long as it is NOT wet.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Where is the best place to order Gator blades?

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been mixed. I have an Exmark 36" Viking, and have a Grass Gobbler. It has been used nine seasons. In the second year, I bought a set of Gator blades. I quickly learned the discharge output was not enough to put the clippings into the Gobbler. I set the Gators aside.

A few years later, I learned that a hi-lift version was available. I bought a set of those blades, and am able to do light bagging. The only difference between the original Gator and the hi-lift version is a very slight additional upbend on the first (inside) tooth. Just laying the two blades down, I find it hard to determine which is the hi-lift. But, nesting them, I can spot the difference. I am surprised the very slight difference in one tooth will make enough of a change if output flow to either bag, or not bag.

I use my Gators only for Fall leaf mulch work. If there is grass to mow, it is light growth by that time, and the Gator will work (either one). I don't bag leaves. But, my primary blade during 90% of the season is hi-lift, notched airfoil blades. I do some bagging, but mostly discharge. I believe the notched airfoil blades do a better mowing job, better discharge, better spread of clippings than the hi-lift Gator. I do no grass mulching with this mower, depsite having a mulching kit in the shed.

I don't know what blades are being sold these days. My point is just be aware of the differences. Maybe just the hi-lift version is available any more, I don't know.

6. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hi Tac
    We have a full line of gator blades available, just click on the link below, and check us out. Thanks Jay