gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigcountry01, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

those of you who use gator blades, do u use them year round or just in the fall? i cant tell a difference in how it cuts the grass..gators seem to chop up leaves in the fall pretty good though

2. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use high lifts in the spring and fall as they vacuum better and pick up more leaves and debris. I use gators all summer long and they work out well for me. Alot less bagging and a very good cut, just keep'em sharp

3. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I use gators all season here, you can sharpen them more times than the standard high lifts I get here.:usflag:

4. mowpart rep4

mowpart rep4 LawnSite Member

CHECK OUT MOWPART.COM FOR GATOR BLADES

WWW.MOWPART.COM
    HTTP:/WWW.MOWPART.COM

5. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson LawnSite Member

I've ran gator blades on my John Deere HD75 walk behind for several years. I'm very impressed with their performance, and would never even consider purchasing anything else. They work great.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Standard High Lifts, and I have High Lift Gators on right now for the leaves. Once the leaves get gone and the grass greens up and grows again, I will have to see which ones I think cut better...

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Fall time only.

Gator blades are horrible in wet grass. Since they are designed to cut the clippings again and again before side discharge, if the grass is wet, it will simply make side discharge even more difficult with greater clumping. Nothing but big grass turds all over the lawn is what the end product winds up being.

8. agr682

agr682 LawnSite Member

I use the magnum gator blades on my hd75 htey seem to cut better and hold an edge longer than other blades I have used.