1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slagerlawncare, Feb 24, 2000.

1. slagerlawncare

slagerlawncare LawnSite Member

i'm reading a few posts where you leave gator blades on all the time.i'm unfamilar with them,i have seen them in parts cat.<br>please give any info for this wannabee...<p>thanks and is it spring yet?
  2. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

IMHO in Fl. they shread the grass, I don't like the old style. I have not used the NEW and IMPROVED style yet. The new ones have more lift. Who knows.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I am one of the guys that use them all season long. I use them as a second blade along with a high lift. I have tried using all six gators blades, but it doesn't have the lift that I want. I have tried all sorts of combinations, but like the gator and high lift combination. You can put it on as the top or bottom blade, but 2 blades on each spindle is what I have used for the last 12 seasons and find I get the best cut with the least amount of clippings showing. If you want to see the proof, read my article and look at the picture on the Clippings article page on my website. Some of you newer guys may not have seen it yet. Several guys have tried it and told me they can't believe the differance. You can try it with 2 regular sets of blades first to see if you like it.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Gator blades have come out with a new version, I think they call it the magnum series? It has thicker gauge steel as well as a higher lift blade. Just what we needed! Finally a manufacturer listening to comments from the field. We use gators year round and would never go back.
  5. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I use gator blades on my Walker MT-42 side discharge. I converted my side shute to a mulch plate. I mow the lawn with it down, then remow with it up. It looks baged on the second pass. The only problem with gators in south Florida is in the summer, they don't have enough lift. Im looking forward to trying out the new ones. Bobby
  6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We also use them all year but we don't combine them with high lift blades. We've had very good results since switching to Gators a couple years back.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  7. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

When using two blades per spindle do you use a washer in between? I m ordering gators this spring.<br>
  8. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,<br>Is there some kind of attatchment to make two blades stay on one spindle?<p>
  9. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the Rotory style Gator blades? They have a sharp vertical cutting edge instead of that ragged edge that the Gators have. It's sharp like the cutting edge of the blade. We had a problem finding Gator blades that were straight, almost all of them had a bow in them where the ends of the blade curved downward. Any one else had this problem?
  10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

demir, there is a bracket you can get to make the blades stay perpendicular.<p>Eric, When I mounted 6 blades on my mower, I sounded like a helicopter taking off! They moved so much air, it didn't suck well (I tried it in the fall)<p>I'll have to try your method this summer.<br>