Gator Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jglawnmowing, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jglawnmowing

jglawnmowing LawnSite Member

I was looking at www.mowparts.com and came across the gator blades. They sound like they are a better blade than the standard mulching blade. I have heard some other people say they are very good. I was wondering if any of you have used the gator blades and what experiences you have had with them. I would be looking at putting them on my metro HP 48" walk behind. This mower already has exmark mulching blades on it. Was also wondering if the gators were easier to sharpen and if performance was better than the exmark mulching blades.

2. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

I have tried them but found there steel to be soft. And some times they have to be modified to fit the machine they are supposed to fit.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I run Gators exclusively. But, OREGON GATORS. They work great and last. They work the clippings up more bepore they exit the discharge area.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we used to run doubles. Hi-lift blades & gator blades. for leaves it worked great. for cutting grass. if the lawn was wet it would clump a lot, a real lot. but otherwise if it was a dry day they worked pretty good.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. this is so true. They work and they work well for what they are designed for. As stated above though, there is one pitfall to them, and that is that they do have a tendency to make small clumps in wetter grasses. This includes spring growth. I always recommended them to be not used in just grass cutting operations, but some do use them. They just never worked well for us in just grass, but worked and continue to work VERY well for leaves.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use them exclusively for leaves, but never for grass.

Do a search on recent threads. The initial question in this thread has been discussed often in the past couple of weeks and those threads contain many responses and experiences.

7. crawford_d

crawford_d LawnSite Member

You guys talk about putting on two blades to double cut. I don't understand how you do that. I have run gators for years but am interested in how to go about putting on two blades. I am running Toro Groundsmasters and can't see how I could mount two blades. What am I missing?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Search using the words "double blades". you'll have about a day and a half woth of reading.

9. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I love the gator blades, they work awesome chopping up blades of grass and leafs. How do u guys think these blades perform while bagging?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've found just the opposite. They are as good if not better hardness than most OEM's. Are you sure you were using GATOR's by Oregon, or some knock-off brand?

While they don't make a set for EVERY mower out there, I've never found a problem fitting them to any of my units.